Friday, May 13, 2011

Veggie Puff Pastry Shell Pot Pies [vegan option]

Tonight I am eating my infamous Veggie Puff Pastry Shell Pot Pies.

Okay, I'm not sure exactly how infamous they are outside my immediate family, but hey, we love them nonetheless.

Back when I used to eat super unhealthy, I'd make this with canned cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. Now I make my own home made cream sauce with mushrooms and usually Edward & Sons no-chik'n broth (which has become a staple in my house). The cream sauce can be made vegan with a butter substitute or high grade oil along with a milk substitute. Tonight, I went all out and made the heavenly cream sauce with real butter and cream and a splash of hemp milk. (*When making this dish vegan, it is often necessary to use an additional thickener such as tapioca starch or dry egg replacer.) Add to the cream sauce sauteed vegetables and mushrooms and any herbs (fresh thyme tonight!). Serve all of this up in a puff pastry shell for a beautifully presented and amazingly delicious new spin on the traditional pot pie. Yum yum yum yum.


Here is a link to a pretty good recipe for homemade cream of mushroom soup. I substituted a few ingredients including Edwards & Sons No Chik'n for the chicken broth and rice flour for the flour and left our both the onions (due to an allergy) and the sherry for the fact that I had none on hand. I also added some cashews for crunch and texture and only pureed about 2/3 of the mushroom/cashew mixture in order to leave some body in the soup for the pot pies later.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/cream-of-mushroom-soup-i/detail.aspx

The AllRecipes site comes in handy in that it allows you to adjust the ingredients by portion size.

No comments:

Post a Comment